- Best Texas King Bed Ideas Guide: My Top Picks & One I Would Buy Today - November 11, 2021
- Best Studio Couch Ideas and Inspiration For Refreshing Your Space - October 5, 2021
- Authentic Live Edge Coffee Table Picks You’re Going To Love - September 29, 2021
Sure, leather is great and easy to clean, but it’s also expensive. Thankfully, faux leather is here to the rescue and, while some people claim it’s bad, we’ve discovered the opposite. Watch us review the best faux leather couch products we could find so that you don’t have to do any extra research. We’ve rounded up a great selection based on affordability, quality, and style.
What Is Faux Leather?
Artificial leather is known by various names, including synthetic or faux leather. To designate these synthetic leather items that serve certain end applications, we have leatherette (car upholstery, apparel), imitation leather (headboard, sofa, and chair upholsteries), and koskin (used to make consumer goods).
Faux leather is divided into two main categories: polyvinyl chloride (vinyl) and polyurethane (PU). Although both these types of leather are utilized in the creation of clothes, furniture, and covers for products, each has distinct advantages that make it superior for certain purposes.
PU fabric is softer, more pliable, more breathable, making it suitable for apparel and upholstery production. Vinyl, on the other hand, is not as breathable, so it’s often used to make moisture-repelling products (especially cases that protect your electronic devices).
Faux Leather vs Real Leather
While faux leather can mimic authentic leather pretty well, there are some differences that we need to talk about in the spirit of keeping our readers as informed as possible.
How It’s Made
Faux leather can be made in a variety of ways. Presstoff, for example, is created by processing paper pulp with a unique form of resin that increases the endurance of this plant-based material. However, Presstoff’s broad use has been hampered by the fact that it disintegrates under moist conditions and cannot withstand severe flexing.
Real leather, on the other hand, is made from tanned animal leather, treated and preserved so that you can enjoy products with a long lifespan. Real leather couches are beautiful but do have their own set of maintenance and care tips.
Because genuine leather does not split or peel, it will last for a long time. Real leather, rather than wearing out, develops a patina on its natural surface. Faux leather, often known as PU leather, will not last as long as real leather, but it will outlast bonded leather.
The cost of synthetic leather is measured in price per yard rather than price per pound because it is created in a fabric form that does not require weaving. While the price per yard of synthetic leather varies depending on the type of faux leather, this fabric typically sells for $10 to $25 per yard.
The price for genuine leather varies on the type of leather in question. For instance, a small handbag made from top-grain leather costs between $80 and $120, while a briefcase made from full-grain leather costs $280 to $380.
Pros of Faux Leather
- Requires little maintenance
- Is stain resistant
- Is fade-resistant
Cons of Faux Leather
- Not breathable
- Not hypoallergenic
- Prone to cracking
Pros of Real Leather
- Very long lifespan
- Timeless appearance
- Easy to clean
Cons of Real Leather
- High maintenance
- Easy to stain
- Uses animal products
Tips to Treat and Condition a Faux Leather Couch
Even a faux leather couch is considered an investment, so here are some maintenance tips for one of your living room’s centerpieces.
Polyurethane Leather is Easily Cleaned
Wipe off your surface with a damp cloth or sponge and use warm water. Dust, grime, and other debris will be removed if you wipe it this way. Polyurethane is easier to clean than leather, and it’s fine for everyday use and lightly soiled surfaces.
Remove Tough Grime with a Soap Bar
When it comes to removing a stain or rubbing in dirt, plain water may not be enough. Use unscented soap to avoid leaving any chemicals or residue on the leather. Simply rub the bar on tough grime spots.
Don’t Be Afraid to Use a Vacuum
Pet hair, dust, filth, and crumbs may all be removed with regular vacuuming. This will prolong the life of your faux leather couch.
Use Cleaners for Vinyl Couches
These items can be found online or local brick-and-mortar hardware stores. Some are made specifically for cleaning boat seats, jackets, or automobile seats. Make careful to choose a product that is appropriate for your needs. Apply a light coat of solution on the entire surface.
Spray your surface with a vinyl protectant. These products repel grime and dust, reducing the need for cleaning. They frequently offer UV protection as well. Wipe the surface clean using a cloth after applying the cleanser.
What to Consider When Buying a Faux Leather Sofa
You might not always know what to look for when buying a new faux leather couch, so this section should come in handy for those of you that could use the extra shopping tips.
Stick to a neutral if you’ve located your dream sofa but aren’t sure what color will go with your decor or haven’t decided on a style yet.
Choose a cream or a beige faux leather sofa if your interior scheme is generally warm. Throw rugs with bright colors should be used because they can be readily updated when the new color trend emerges.
Faux leather is usually stitched the same way genuine leather is, with the most common stitches being:
- Single stitch – The single stitch is the most basic sort of stitch that a craftsman can employ to speed up the stitching process. It enables the craftsman to work more quickly and efficiently. Only one thread is fed through the needle’s eye and then stitched to the leather through the holes.
- Box stitch – The box stitch is similar to the saddle stitch, although it’s a little easier to master. It’s utilized for items that wrap around other items, such as a holster, with a space between the two bolts.
- Cross stitch – Cross-stitching ensures the element’s resilience when put together. The stitch is identical to the single z stitch, however, instead of z’s, it creates an x’s line
- Saddle stitch – The stitch’s advantage is its strength, which a sewing machine cannot match. Two stitches in the same row are used in this method. That is a level of precision that only expert workers can accomplish.
Warranty coverage is important when choosing furniture. Make sure that you carefully read the warranty terms and note that some couches have different warranty periods for different parts. For instance, the frame can be backed by a lifetime warranty, while the reclining mechanism is only covered by three years of warranty.
Measure the space you’ve set aside for your new couch while considering the room’s size and form. Once you’ve chosen a sofa that you believe will fit the room, take note of the sofa’s dimensions and visualize how much room it will take. This ensures that the sofa will fit in the space and that there will be enough space to walk around it.
Will It Fit Through Your Doors?
There are plenty of faux leather couches that arrive assembled, and twice as many that require assembly. If you have your heart set on a model that comes pre-assembled, you need to make sure it fits through your doors. If not, you might want to look for a model that you get to assemble yourself.
Your Current Décor and Style
Choose a sofa style that complements your room’s design. A modern home will benefit from a low-profile sofa, whereas a traditional home will benefit from a high-back sofa. Here are some tips that might help you out:
- Tufted sofas are always in style, and if they’re made of a basic fabric, they’ll fit with any home decor concept. Because of the amount of work that goes into tufting, they are usually a little more expensive.
- Sectional sofas work well if you have a family or frequently entertain visitors.
- Modulars may be set up in a variety of configurations because of their versatility, and you can even make your own combinations. They range from L-shaped two- and three-seat sectionals with chaise lounge extensions to bigger U-shaped modular that may be expanded by adding a corner or terminal.
- Low-profile couches are frequently available in multiple sections or modular shapes, allowing them to be transferred to different residences or living areas as separate pieces and built-in any combination that works.
Faux leather sofas are available for just about any budget. You can find models that are as cheap as $300 and are suitable for sitting two people, while larger models with more features can cost more than $1,000.
Best Faux Leather Couch Ideas for Your Home
Beverly Fine Furniture Sectional Sofa Set
This sectional couch with an ottoman is made of durable imitation leather upholstery draped over a robust wood frame. For a comfortable feel, premium imitation leather upholstery with traditional stitching lines is used.
- Available colors: 8
- Size: 103.5 x 74.5 x 35 inches
- Price range: $800 – $1000
- Top feature: includes ottoman
- warranty: 30-day return
This stunning multi-functional ottoman can be used as a display piece, a stool or footrest, extra sitting, or a coffee table. A hinged top adds versatility by allowing for easy opening and closing. It provides excellent storage that is both convenient and attractive as a storage place for your accessories.
There are 8 color options to choose from, and you also get 2 throw pillows included in your purchase.
- Comes with an ottoman and throw pillows
- Ottoman provides extra storage
- Can be arranged in different ways
- Not enough cushioning
Signature Design by Ashley Sofa
Best with recliner
The Signature Design by Ashley sofa is upholstered in polyester and polyurethane, and the dual-sided recliner includes a pull tab reclining motion for further comfort. The faux suede fabric will appeal to your penchant for high-end materials.
- Available colors: 4
- Size: 40 x 88 x 42 inches
- Price range: $500 – $800
- Top feature: doubles as recliner
- Warranty: 5 years
As you get off your feet for a while, the high back gives enough support. You’ll be easing back into relaxation with just one pull of the tab. The couch comes with padded footrests and ends with independent recline, so that everyone can choose the most comfortable seating position.
- Delivered fully assembled
- Independent recline on end seating
- Easy pull tab for reclining motion
- Lacks proper cushioning
Blackjack Furniture Sofa
Best couch and loveseat set
With this particular two-piece set, you can show off your refined style. The set contains a loveseat and a couch, with separate measurements that you can see in our “Specs” list. The reclining frames are made of robust wood and aluminum.
- Available colors: 1
- Size: 81 x 30 x 40 inches (sofa), 60 x 38 x 40 inches (loveseat)
- Price range: more than $1,000
- Top feature: loveseat and couch included
- Warranty: 30-day return
This is a wonderfully opulent reclining set with a classic-style design. It has plush imitation leather upholstery that is both comfy and fashionable. For added comfort, it has large cushions and a reclining mechanism.
- 2-in-1 set
- Reclining feature included
- Easy to assemble
- Misleading real leather product title
Best Choice Products Faux Leather Couch
Best sleeper sofa
With a customizable design, an included ottoman and made with quality faux leather, this is one of the best products of its kind. The backrests of both the two-person futon and the single-seat fully recline to change into a guest bed, and they can be readily joined to accommodate any overnight guests.
- Available colors: 3
- Size: 66 x 30 x 30.5 inches
- Price range: less than $500
- Top feature: extendable
- Warranty: 60 days
The material is tufted to provide a decent amount of back support as well as a great resting experience, tufted with imitation leather and durable, solid padding.
- Doubles as a bed
- Customizable design
- Ottoman included
- Questionable long-term durability
Snow Shop Everything Faux Leather Futon
This faux leather futon is a multifunctional item that’s just what your living area needs to finish it off. It has a mid-century contemporary style with button-tufted accents that goes with any décor and is designed with simple lines.
- Available colors: 1
- Size: 71.5 x 35.5 x 32 inches
- Price range: less than $500
- Top feature: extendable
- Warranty: 30-day return
The frame is composed of sturdy wood to provide longevity and stability, and the pillowtop seat consists of a memory foam layer to ensure maximum comfort in any situation. The reclining backrest may be adjusted to a variety of lounging and sleeping positions, allowing you to customize your space and provide an extra bed for overnight guests
- Extends to a Full-size bed
- Supports up to 600 pounds
- Includes comfortable foam padded pillows
- Requires assembly
Question: Do faux leather couches last?
Answer: A faux leather couch can last up to 5 years but, with proper maintenance, it can last even longer. Make sure you place your sofa in a spot that doesn’t have direct sunlight or excessive heat.
Question: Do faux leather couches peel?
Answer: Faux leather couches are not prone to peeling and can even withstand some other types of leather couches, such as those made with bonded leather.
Question: How long should a faux leather sofa last?
Answer: The average lifespan of a faux leather sofa is between 3 and 5 years.
The Final Say on Faux Leather Couches
As you can see, there are plenty of choices when it comes to saving money with a good synthetic leather couch. If you have any questions, use the comments section below and feel free to browse some of our other home-improvement content. We’ve got tons of ideas in store for you! Like our guide to marble coffee tables to go with your new faux leather couch!